Two thousand and fifteen was a significant year for our environmental efforts. In this report we will share the progress that we have made toward living our environmental policies and meeting our goals through the partnership of company and franchisee leaders, as well as our suppliers across the globe.
As we celebrate our progress and reflect upon our journey, we are more energized than ever to continue working to reduce our environmental footprint. This understanding, that there’s still much work to be done, is reflected in our latest enterprise-wide sustainability goals. We set our goals to be ambitious and in cases, aspirational but although we may sometimes fall short, we move further and faster than by setting more modest targets. Our current goals are:
- Design and build 100 percent of our new company-owned restaurants to be Blueline certified.
- Reduce energy consumption in company-owned restaurants by 15 percent by the end of 2015.
- Reduce water consumption in company-owned restaurants by 10 percent by the end of 2015.
- Source 100 percent of our palm oil used for cooking from responsible and sustainable sources by the end of 2017.
- Purchase 100 percent of our paper-based packaging with fiber from responsibly managed forests and recycled sources by the end of 2020.
- Divert 50 percent of back-of-house operational waste generated by our restaurants in the United States by the end of 2020.